National Chains Heading to Leesburg

National Chains Heading to Leesburg

This article is talking about all of the new restaurants and things that will be coming soon to Leesburg,FL. The different restaurants are Krystal’s and Waffle House. There will also be some new stores like  Rural King Supply, which sells farm supplies, and Harbor Freight tools, which sells tools and stuff. A 7-Eleven is being built on Highway 27, and a new restaurant called Ichiban Buffet is going to be built where the Barnstorm used to be in front of the Lake Square mall. The article says that a Starbucks and a Duncan doughnuts might even be coming.  The article says that the new businesses are coming to Leesburg because it is a good location and a good town to be in. Some of the businesses are being built right now, like the Rural King Supply that is going in where the old Sims building used to be.

I was happy to see this article in the newspaper. I think that it is good new for Leesburg. I do have to say that Leesburg is pretty behind when it comes to restaurants and stores. I think we have to be one of the only towns in America without a Starbucks! Anyhow, I am glad to see that they are starting to put some new businesses in. I hope that it will help Leesburg become a little more modern. I am glad that they are building here since it will help create new jobs for some of the people who live in Leesburg.

Overall I think that this was a pretty good article. I do think that they could have put a little more information in it. I think that the author should have tried to get a hold of the businesses and ask them what dates they are planning on opening.  I’ve never really heard of Krystals, Rural King, or Harbor Freight, but I guess that any new business is better than none at all. I don’t know if I’ll eat at the Waffle House. My family ate at one when we were driving back from Tampa once and my food wasn’t that great. Maybe the chef just had a bad day? I do know that I will definitely eat at the Dunkin Doughnuts if they put one in! I really like the glazed doughnuts they sell.

Below: Complete article from the Daily Commercial

Leesburg is seeing a commercial growth spurt that includes a national tool retailer, a national home-supply store, and first-time outlets here for national fast-food chains like Krystal’s and Waffle House.

Other national chains like Subway and 7-Eleven also are expanding with new locations in Leesburg.

“Leesburg is happy to have any business: large, small, chains, restaurants, service related,” said Leesburg spokesman Robert Sargent. “The national chains all have an interest in Leesburg because of our location; we’re a great a place to be, so no matter the size or nature of business, we’re happy to have them.”

Here’s a preview of what residents will soon see:

Rural King Supply plans to open in the former Kmart store on U.S. Highway 27/441 that was most recently Sim’s Furniture. “That is a site that we are very excited about to get a national tenant,” Sargent said. “They have been around since 1960 and they have 68 locations in eight states.” Founded in Mattoon, Ill., Rural King Supply has stores in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Michigan and Missouri. It recently opened its first Florida store in Spring Hill. The stores sell everything from livestock feed, farm equipment and agricultural parts, to work clothes, housewares and toys.

Harbor Freight Tools is expected to locate in the same plaza as Aldi’s, south of Walmart. Harbor Freight was started in 1977 as a small family-owned business and has grown into a national online retailer, but also has 400 stores nationwide. From hand tools and generators, to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight has more than 7,000 products.

Krystal’s has applied to go in at 815 N. 14th St., which is between Wendy’s Restaurant and Stavro’s Pizza. “It has to go through the development approval from the planning commission and up the chain,” Sargent said of plans for Krystal’s. “This is a chain that has been looking at Leesburg for a while.” Krystal’s opened its first store in Tennessee in 1932 and has grown to more than 360 locations in eight southern states. Known for known for its small, square hamburger sliders with steamed-in onions, Krystal’s burgers resemble those of White Castle.

Waffle House is being built on the lot between Hess and Cracker Barrel on U.S. Highway 441. Workers are currently installing the underground electrical at the site. The first Waffle House was built in 1955 in Georgia and the company has grown to more than 1,700 locations in 25 states. Although the Waffle House chain is concentrated in the Southeast, it has reached as far north as Ohio and as far west as Arizona.

Subway’s new building is being constructed at 1320 S. 14th St., across from highway from the new Save-a-lot. “We are really excited for that area to see that kind of development going in,” Sargent said. Started in 1968 in in Connecticut, Subway is one of the fastest growing franchises in the world with 40,043 restaurants in 102 countries and territories. It is the largest single-brand restaurant chain and the largest restaurant operator globally.

7-Eleven, complete with gas pumps, is currently under construction at the corner of U.S. Highway 27 and South Street. With roots dating back to 1927 in Dallas, 7-Eleven has become an international chain of convenience stores. It is the world’s largest operator, franchisor and licensor of convenience stores, with more than 50,000 outlets — surpassing the previous record-holder: McDonald’s.

Ichiban Buffet is going into the former Barnhill’s site by Lake Square Mall. A worker doing interior work said Wednesday that the restaurant is expected to be open in four months. Ichiban Buffet restaurants are located across Central Florida. The name means “first,” or “number one” in Japanese.

Two other national chains, Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks, are reportedly looking at sites in Leesburg for stand-alone stores, but no official announcements have been made.

13 thoughts on “National Chains Heading to Leesburg

1. I think that Krystal’s will be fun. Whenever we go to Daytona Beach, we always stop at Krystal’s for the little burgers. Yum!

2. Hey Jess it’s me Lawrence go on my edublog page that is the redrobin page if you don’t have go on somebody else’s page and then click redrobin and it will show up later.

3. Hey Jess it’s me Lawrence go on my edublog page that is the redrobin page if you don’t have go on somebody else’s page and then click redrobin and it will show up later. See you at school tomorrow.

4. I think leesburg needs a more convenient selection of restaurants because what if some people only get fifteen minutes for a lunch break and the nearest restaurants are like three miles away and no those people do not own ferraris, plus they are literally starving and haven’t eaten anything all day long . Nuff said

5. I just noticed that the Waffle House is open. I haven’t tried it yet, but it had a lot of people there the other night. I’ve got to go check it out!